EFFECT OF AGE, GENDER AND FAMILY TYPE ON CARE GIVING â€”A CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY ON CAREGIVERS OF SCHIZOPHRENIC PATIENTS
Background: Care giving is a fundamental issue in the rehabilitation process of mental illnesses. Most of the patients suffering from schizophrenia are dependent on their families to take care of them and help them out in their daily activities. Present study was planned to find out the effect of age, gender and family type on care giving burden in caregivers of schizophrenic patients. Methods: This cross-sectional comparative study was carried out at International Islamic University Islamabad from Jan to Sep 2017. Fifty informal caregivers of schizophrenic patients were included from psychiatry wards of Lady Reading Hospital, and Khyber Teaching Hospital, Peshawar though convenience sampling. Care-givers with any past history of psychiatrist illness were excluded from the study. Care giving burden was measured using â€˜Zarit Burden Interviewâ€™ questionnaire. Alpha value was kept at 0.05. Results: There were 20 (40%) males and 30 (60%) females in the study. The mean age of participants was 31.76Â±9.13 years with a range of 19â€“55 years. Twenty-seven (65%) participants were from nuclear family whereas 23 (46%) were from extended family. Mean score of care giving burden was 42.98Â±13.80 with range of 11â€“64. Care giving burden was found to be affected by age (p=0.001) but not by gender and family type (p=0.10 and 0.72 respectively). Conclusion: Age was the strongest predictor of care giving burden. There was no effect of gender and family type on care giving burden.
Pak J Physiol 2018;14(2):38â€“40
2. Chakraborty S, Kulhara P, Verma SK. Extent and determinants of burden among families of patients with affective disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1992;86:247â€“52.
3. Jacob M, Frank E, Kupfer DJ, Carpenter, LL. Recurrent depression: An assessment of family burden and family attitudes. J Clin Psychiat 1987;48:395â€“400.
4. Agrawal GJ. Burden among caregivers of mentally-Ill patients: A rural community-based study. Int J Res Dev Health 2013;1(2):29â€“34.
5. Browing JS, Schwirian PM. Spousal care giver burden: Impact of care recipient health problems and mental status. J Gerontol Nurs 1994;20(3):17â€“22.
6. Disability, Ageing and Carers, Australia: Summary of Findings, 2015 [Internet]. Australian Bureau of Statistics. URL: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@nsf/mf/4430.0.
7. Manish Kumar M. Family burden, coping and psychological wellbeing among caregivers of schizophrenia. [Internet] 2012. URL: http://18.104.22.168:8080/jspui/bitstrm/123456789/1832/1/ CDMPSYM00002.pdf.
8. Kaur N. Caregiving, Burden and Social support among caregivers of Schizophrenic patients. Delhi Psychiat J. 2014;17(2):337-42
9. Bloch S. Family Caregivers: Disability, Illness and Ageing. Schofield H, Bloch S, (Eds). Allen & Unwin; 1998.
10. White CL, LausonS, Yaffe MJ, Wood-Dauphinee S. Toward a model of quality of life for family caregivers of stroke survivors. Qual Life Res 2004;13:625â€“38.
11. Sales E. Family burden and quality of life. Qual Life Res 2003;12:33â€“41.
12. Pinquart M. Correlates of subjective health in older adults: a meta-analysis. Psychol Aging 2001;16:414â€“26.
13. Lawton MP, Rajagopal D, Brody E, Kleban MH. The dynamics of care giving for a demented elder among black and white families. Gerontologist 1992;47:156â€“64.
14. Lambert SD, Girgis A, Levesque J. The impact of cancer and chronic conditions on caregivers and family members. In: Koczwara B, (Ed). Cancer and Chronic Conditions: Addressing the Problem of Multimorbidity in Cancer Patients and Survivors. Singapore: Springer Science+Business Media; 2016.
15. Lai DW. Effect of Financial Costs on Caregiving Burden of Family Caregivers of Older Adults. SAGE Open [Internet] 2012. URL: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2158244012470467
Â© Copyrights reserved. Pakistan Journal of Physiology, Pak J Physiol, PJP is free for research and academic purposes only. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any shape, published, or stored in a retrieval media without permission of the Editors.